Lanka refusing to give up on Murali


Labels: 2010 , 2010 Group B , 2010 Sri Lanka , 2010 World Cup , 0 comments
Muttiah Muralitharan could still feature for Sri Lanka in the World Twenty20, according to captain Kumar Sangakkara, after officials said he'd been ruled out with a groin injury.
A statement released by Sri Lanka Cricket in Colombo earlier yesterday said the star off-spinner had been "advised to rest for two or three weeks" following a groin problem he suffered during the team's two-wicket opening match defeat by New Zealand here on Friday.
That would rule him out of the rest of the World Twenty20.
But Sangakkara, speaking after Sri Lanka's 14-run, rain-affected, win over Zimbabwe here yesterday, said Muralitharan - whose place against the Africans was taken by 25-year-old off-spinner Suraj Randiv - would be given a chance to prove his fitness.
"We haven't ruled him out completely," Sangakkara told reporters. This stance signifies that even this late in his career, Murali is still very much part of Sri Lankan plan.
A statement released by Sri Lanka Cricket in Colombo earlier yesterday said the star off-spinner had been "advised to rest for two or three weeks" following a groin problem he suffered during the team's two-wicket opening match defeat by New Zealand here on Friday.
That would rule him out of the rest of the World Twenty20.
But Sangakkara, speaking after Sri Lanka's 14-run, rain-affected, win over Zimbabwe here yesterday, said Muralitharan - whose place against the Africans was taken by 25-year-old off-spinner Suraj Randiv - would be given a chance to prove his fitness.
"We haven't ruled him out completely," Sangakkara told reporters. This stance signifies that even this late in his career, Murali is still very much part of Sri Lankan plan.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
0 Response to "Lanka refusing to give up on Murali"
Post a Comment